Yield: 2 medium pizza crusts
Time: 65 minutes
- 2 pkgs dry yeast (each 1/4 oz)
- 1 1/2 cups warm water (115 degrees)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 1/2 cups AP flour plus more for shaping
- 1 1/2 cups semolina flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 TBSP EVOO (plus more for brushing dough before adding toppings)
- 2 TBSP mixed Italian dry herbs
- Cornmeal for sprinkling on pizza peel if using
- Pizza toppings of your choice
- Dissolve yeast in warm water in a mixing bowl (I used my stand mixer).
- Add the sugar and AP flour and beat vigorously for 1 minute (The dough is like cake batter at this point).
- Heat oven to 150 degrees and place mixing bowl on shelf partially pulled out, with oven door open. Leave to rise uncovered for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, stir the dough down and add semolina flour, salt, EVOO and herbs.
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees with pizza stone inside.
- Using dough hook on mixer, knead for 8 minutes, adding more AP flour as needed to prevent sticking and so a dough ball forms (I had to add about 1/3 cup).
- Turn dough out on floured surface and divide and shape into 2 balls.
- Wrap one ball in oiled plastic wrap and store in a freezer bag in freezer.
- Shape other ball into about a 13 inch crust, place on cornmeal dusted peel, brush with EVOO then add sauce and toppings.
- Cook on pizza stone for 12-15 minutes until crust is nicely browned and toppings are cooked to your liking.