Yield: 6 servings
Time: 1 1/2 hours
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1/2 C onions, chopped finely
- 1 C short grain brown rice
- 5 C vegetable stock
- 3 C baby spinach
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 C sliced mushrooms
- 4 cups roasted, cubed butternut squash
- 2 ounces Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 3 tsp finely diced basil, plus more for garnish
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Prepare butternut squash (cut in half, roast for 45 minutes in 400 degree oven, cool, peel and cube; can be done ahead of time).
- Heat 1 TBSP olive oil over medium heat in heavy saucepan and add onions when hot.
- Cook onions for 3-4 minutes then add rice, stirring frequently.
- Cook onions and rice for 5 minutes.
- While onions and rice are cooking, heat stock to a simmer and keep on low heat while cooking risotto.
- Add 1 cup at a time of stock to the rice/onion mixture and stir frequently while mixture simmers/low boil (about 40 minutes to add all stock).
- Check rice for tenderness and if not tender, add additional liquid and keep stirring.
- While rice is simmering, heat 1 tsp olive oil in a separate pan and cook mushrooms for about 10 minutes over medium heat.
- Once rice is cooked, stir in salt and pepper to taste, and add basil.
- Stir in cheese then spinach. Stir until spinach is wilted then add mushrooms and squash.
- Serve garnished with basil leaves.