Time: 55 minutes
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cut in to small cubes, about 7 cups
- Olive oil
- ½ pound whole grain rotini pasta
- 2 chicken apple sausages, cut in to small cubes
- 1/3 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- ½ cup finely diced shallots
- Cooking spray
- 3 TBSP cumin (more or less to your taste)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Toss squash in enough olive oil to lightly coat, season with salt, pepper, and 1 ½ TBSP cumin; spread on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake for about 30-40 minutes, until browning, stirring 2-3 times.
- Meanwhile, apply a light coat of olive oil to a sauté pan over med/med-high heat.
- Add pecans, shallots and sausages and remaining cumin.
- Cook, stirring frequently, for about 10 minutes until browned.
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- While pasta cooks, let squash cool briefly then put 2/3 of the squash in a food processor.
- Process squash until smooth.
- Mix together the pureed squash, drained pasta, sausage mixture, and remaining cooked squash.
- Spray a baking dish with cooking spray and fill with mixture.
- Top with cheese and place under a broiler for 4 minutes until cheese is melting and beginning to brown.