Yield: 16 servings
Time: 50 minutes
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 cups cake flour (280 grams)
- 2 tsp single acting baking powder (aluminum free)
- 1 ½ cups light brown sugar (350 grams)
- 1 ¼ sticks unsalted butter(150 grams)
- ½ cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 egg white
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix baking soda in to the milk and set aside.
- Put flour, baking powder, brown sugar in food processor and pulse until mixed.
- Add in the butter and pulse until a tan crumb forms.
- Pour half the crumb into a spring form pan (Mine was 10 inches, 9 inches would make a thicker cake but all I have is 10”). Press to form a crust on the bottom of the pan.
- Add the egg white, milk and baking soda mixture, and spices to food processor, and mix until a thin, slightly lumpy batter is formed.
- Pour batter over crust and gently sprinkle with walnuts.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes.
- Cool in pan, then remove and serve.