Yield: 6 patties
Time: 20 minutes
- 1 small acorn squash (1 cup mashed)
- ½ cup cornmeal
- 1 egg
- Large pinch kosher salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 tsp Garam masala
- ¼ cup olive oil (enough for shallow layer in frying pan)
- Prepared chutney (like Major Grey’s)
- Spiced yogurt (non-fat plain Greek yogurt mixed with garam masala)
- Slice squash in half and remove seeds and stringy bits.
- Wrap loosely in parchment paper and microwave for 8-10 minutes until steaming and soft.
- Let cool and then scrape out cooked squash, discarding skin.
- Mix squash, salt and pepper, egg, garam masala, and cornmeal together.
- Heat olive oil over med-high heat.
- When oil is hot, drop 1/6th of mixture into oil and flatten; repeat with remaining mixture (but don’t overfill pan-cook in two batches).
- Cook about 3 minutes per side until warmed through and crispy on outside.
- Drain briefly on paper towels and serve hot (with chutney and/or spiced yogurt if desired).