Time: 7 1/4 hours (15 minutes to prepare, 7 hours in slow cooker)
- 2 cups green lentils (I had a mix of small French green and regular organic green lentils)
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup diced celery
- 2 tsp ground roasted cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp dried mustard powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 (4 oz) can diced fire roasted chiles, undrained
- 1 TBSP parsley herb blend
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut in half
- 2 sticks of cinnamon
- Chopped cilantro for serving (optional)
- Add all ingredients to slow cooker except cilantro.
- Cook 7 hours on low.
- Shred chicken and stir back into lentils.
- Serve sprinkled with chopped cilantro.
Adapted from A Year of Slow Cooking