Time: 30 minutes plus cooling time
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 cup strong coffee (I made mine twice as strong as usual; flavored coffee works well, I used French Vanilla flavor)
- 1 cup milk
- 2/3 cup organic cane sugar (or whatever sugar you prefer)
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1 cup medium grain white rice
- 1/2 cup whipping cream, plus some reserved for topping
- Bring coffee, milk and sugar to a gentle boil
- Split vanilla bean pod open, scrape out seeds and add seeds to liquid.
- Stir well and then drop in the empty vanilla bean pod.
- Add rice and simmer, covered, for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and remove vanilla bean pod.
- Stir in cream.
- Serve warm, room temperature or cold topped with a dollop of whipped cream.