Yield: 6 servings
- 4.5 lb organic free range chicken
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 2 TBSP Penzey’s "Sate" seasoning
- ½ large sweet onion, cut into chunks
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees with a Dutch oven on center rack.
- Remove gizzards and other parts from inside chicken.
- Rinse chicken and pat dry. Tuck wings under body.
- Loosen skin over breast and legs.
- Combine olive oil and seasoning.
- Rub ½ of seasoning/oil mixture under skin.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper inside cavity and place onion inside.
- Rub remaining seasoning/oil mixture over outside of chicken.
- When oven is at temperature, carefully place chicken inside Dutch oven.
- Give Dutch oven a quick shake.
- Cook for 1 hour or until thigh temperature reaches 160 degrees, turning pan ½ way through and basting chicken with pan juices.
- Cover loosely with foil if skin gets too brown during cooking.
- Remove pan from oven and chicken from pan.
- Cover loosely and let rest for 15 minutes and then cut into pieces to serve.