Time: 20 minutes
24 thick stems of fresh asparagus
1 rounded TBSP toasted pine nuts, plus 4 tsp for serving
1/4 cup (packed) fresh basil leaves
1/4 cup (packed) fresh asparagus tops (from first ingredient)
1/2 tsp grated nutmeg
3/4 tsp kosher salt
1 1/2 TBSP fresh lemon juice
1/3 cup olive oil
Freshly ground black pepper and additional salt to taste
Aged Parmesan cheese for serving
- Remove woody bottom part of stems from asparagus and discard.
- Cut off tops of asparagus and reserve 1/4 cup for this recipe. Save remainder for soup or salad.
- Shave asparagus stems thinly with sharp vegetable peeler.
- Place the 1 TBSP pine nuts, basil, asparagus tops, nutmeg, salt, and lemon juice in food processor.
- Pulse to combine and roughly chop.
- Turn processor on and drizzle in olive oil.
- Combine in processor for 45 seconds, until well combined.
- Taste and add additional seasoning if needed.
- About 20-30 minutes prior to serving, combine dressing and shaved asparagus (you may not need all the dressing).
- To serve, place dressed asparagus on four plates and top with pine nuts and thin shavings of Parmesan cheese.