Yield: 8 pita (whole)
Time: 20 minutes plus 1 hour 40 minutes rising time
- 1 3/4 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached bread flour
- 1 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 1/4 cups warm water
- 2 TBSP olive oil plus more for brushing tops
- Organic no-salt seasoning (or other mixed herb/spice blend) for topping
- Combine flours and salt in a bowl.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with dough hook, add yeast and 2 TBSP olive oil to water.
- Start mixer on low and pour in flour mixture.
- Turn to medium and knead for 5 minutes (if by hand, 8-10 minutes).
- Remove bowl from mixer and cover with kitchen cloth/towel for 1 1/2 hours or until dough has doubled.
- About an hour in to the rise, place pizza stone on bottom rack of oven and preheat to 450 degrees.
- When dough has doubled, turn out on to floured surface and divide into 8 portions. Re-cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Roll each portion into approximately a 6 inch circle.
- Using a floured pizza peel, slide pitas into oven, cooking 2 at a time (keep others covered).
- Bake for 3 1/2 minutes, then flip for an additional 2 1/2 minutes.
- Remove and wrap in kitchen towel to cool while others cook, adding cooked to pile in kitchen towel as they come out.
- When cooled slightly, brush with olive oil and sprinkle with seasoning mix.