Total time: 25 minutes approximately
1 lb. ground bison
1 tsp olive oil
½ cup finely chopped red onion1 cup finely chopped mushrooms
½ cup KC Masterpiece Southern Style Barbecue Sauce
Ground black pepper to tasteOptional: lettuce, tomato, onion, cheese and other condiments as desired.
1. Clean and oil grill. Preheat to medium high.
2. Warm olive oil in a pan over med-high heat.
3. Add onion and mushrooms and sauté until browning.
4. Stir in sauce and simmer for 5 minutes until reduced to a thick coating on veggies.
5. Remove from heat.
6. Divide bison into 6 equal sections.
7. Make a small well in 3 sections and add approximately 1 TBSP of veggie and sauce mixture to each well.
8. Place remaining sections on top of filled and pat gently to seal. Some sauce may leak out-no problem, just spread it over the top.
9. Smear a dab of remaining sauce over the top of each burger and season with small amount of freshly ground black pepper.
10. Grill over direct heat 7 minutes on the first side and then 3-4 minutes on second side (for med-med/well), or until burgers reach your preferred level of doneness.
11. Serve on whole grain bun or wrapped in lettuce with condiments of your choice.