Yield: 8 servings
Time: 3 1/2 hours
- 5 lb. bone in beef short ribs in approximately 2 inch pieces, trimmed of any big chunks of fat
- 3 TBSP canola oil
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 3 TBSP flour
- 1 TBSP tomato paste
- 750 ml (one bottle) Cabernet Sauvignon (or other red wine)
- 10 sprigs flat leaf parsley
- 9 sprigs thyme
- 2 springs rosemary
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1 head of garlic, halved crosswise
- 4 cups beef broth
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Salt and pepper the ribs liberally.
- Heat oil in Dutch oven over med-high heat.
- Cooking a few ribs at a time (don't crowd pot), brown on all sides. As browned, remove to a platter.
- When all ribs are browned and removed from pan, remove all but about 3 TBSP of the remaining oil/fat.
- Add veggies and cook until onions are browned, stirring frequently.
- Add flour and tomato paste and stir constantly for 2 minutes.
- Add wine and ribs with any juices that have released on to platter.
- Stir well and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes until wine has reduced by half.
- Add herbs, garlic and broth.
- Cover Dutch oven and place in oven.
- Cook until meat is separating from the bones, about 2-2 1/2 hours.
- Remove ribs to serving platter or bowl.
- Skim any fat from remaining sauce.
- Taste sauce and add any additional salt/pepper if needed.
- Pour sauce over ribs (if in bowl) or serve separately in a gravy boat.