Time: 30 minutes (make the rice ahead of time and store in fridge)
Yield: 4 servings
- 3 TBSP canola oil
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 8 oz mushrooms, chopped
- 3 cups bean sprout
- 8 oz pork chops, trimmed of fat and sliced thinly in bite sized pieces
- 1 TBSP minced garlic (2 large or 3 small cloves)
- 2 cups chilled, cooked brown rice
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 2 TBSP fish sauce
- 1/3 cup peanut halves
- 1/2 cup chopped basil and more for garnish
- 1/2 jalapeno or other chile, seeded and chopped (more if you want it spicier)
- Juice from 1 lime
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the onions, carrot, mushrooms and bean sprouts in 1 TBSP of the oil over high heat for about 4-5 minutes until softened and beginning to brown (watch for scorching and turn to med-high if necessary).
- Remove veggies and add 1 TBSP oil to pan.
- When oil is hot, add pork and stir fry until no longer pink, about 4 minutes then remove to bowl with veggies.
- Add remaining oil and when hot add garlic and rice, breaking up any clumps of the rice.
- Once rice is broken up and sizzling, add egg to center of pan and scramble, stirring into rice as it cooks.
- Add pork and veggies to pan. Stir in coconut milk and cook for a minute or so.
- Stir in fish sauce, taste and season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Stir in peanuts, basil, lime juice, and chile.
- Serve garnished with basil.