Time: 25 minutes
Yield: 2 servings
· 1 medium head of broccoli, stems and florets chopped (about 3 cups chopped)
· 3 cups vegetable broth
· 2 TBSP fresh chopped thyme
· 1 TBSP olive oil
· ½ cup chopped onion
· 1 ½ TBSP fat free half and half
· 1 tsp salt, plus more if needed
· ½ tsp pepper, plus more if needed
· Grated aged Parmesan cheese for serving
· Optional: chunk of crusty bread for serving
· Saute onion, broccoli stems, salt, pepper, and thyme in olive oil over medium heat for 7 minutes.
· Add in broth and broccoli florets and simmer for 15 minutes (longer if you want a smooth puree).
· Remove from heat and cool briefly then pour into food processor or blender.
· Puree until well blended, about 30 seconds (longer for smoothest puree).
· Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed.
· Stir in half and half and serve with sprinkle of cheese and with a chunk of crusty bread.