Monday, October 11, 2010

Slowcooker Cuban Beans and Rice


Adapted from Healthy Everyday Food from Cooking Light, 2009, Oxmoor House

Ingredients:
1 pound dried black beans
2 cups water
2 cups vegetable broth
2 cups chopped onion
1 ½ cups chopped red bell pepper
1 cup chopped green bell pepper
2 TBSP olive oil
3 tsp salt
2 tsp fennel seeds, crushed
2 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp dried oregano
2 TBSP sherry or red wine vinegar (I used red wine vinegar)
2 (10 oz) cans diced tomatoes and green chiles, drained (I missed the part about draining but I don’t think it mattered)
5 cups hot cooked rice (I made enough brown rice for two meals)
Hot sauce (optional) (I didn’t use)
I also used:
 fresh lime juice (from 1 lime)
2 TBSP non-fat plain greek yogurt
2 TBSP chopped cilantro

Method:
Sort and wash beans; place in a large bowl.  Cover with water to 2 inches above beans; cover and let stand 8 hours (I did this at bedtime and soaked them overnight-about 12 hours).  Drain beans.

Combine beans, 2 cups water, and next 10 ingredients (through oregano) in an electric slow cooker.  Cover and cook on HIGH for 5 hours or until beans are tender.  Stir in vinegar and tomatoes.  (I cooked on high 1 hour, low 8 hours, added the vinegar and tomatoes and cooked another hour on low).

Serve over (brown) rice. Sprinkle with hot sauce if desired.  (I added a dollop of non-fat plain greek yogurt, fresh lime juice, and sprinkles of cilantro.  Didn’t need any more heat for our palate.  There was a fair bit of liquid remaining).

Yield: 10 servings of 1 cup beans and ½ cup rice.  Calories 314, fat 3.3 grams, protein 12.1 grams, carbs 58.3 grams
 
When the bean mixture had cooled I put ½ of it in a freezer bag and froze it with a small amount of the “gravy”.